June 26, 2009

Thursday’s tragic death of a great musician

On Thursday, one of the great musicians of our time died.  No, I am not thinking of Michael Jackson. 

I am thinking of the amazing Ali Akbar Khan, who I was fortunate enough to see many, many times, who was named as a “national treasure” by the Indian government.  He was a great classical North Indian composer and performer.  He was the leading virtuoso of the lutelike sarod, and he often performed together with his brother Ravi Shankar.

20khanspan

Here is a brief obituary.

Here are links to some albums: 

Pre-Dawn to Sunrise Ragas (1967)

Morning and Evening Ragas (1955)

The Emperor of Sarod, vol 1 (1970)

This is a man who touched my soul and intellect through his music.  I am sorry he is gone, but happy that we have such a rich legacy of memories and recordings.

Correction:  Khan died Thursday – last week (June 18)

1 comment:

Kevin P. Edgecomb said...

Ah, that is sad.

When I was a teenager, I got a copy of the Concert for Bangladesh album. The second side, with Ravi Shankar and Ali Akbar Khan, was the only one that I listened to after the initial playing and always enjoyed.