March 11, 2009

The pope promises to Google next time

williamson In his apology letter to bishops over reversing the excommunication of a Holocaust denier, the Pope promises to check on the Internet next time:

I have been told that consulting the information available on the internet would have made it possible to perceive the problem early on. I have learned the lesson that in the future in the Holy See we will have to pay greater attention to that source of news

Just in case a pontifical Google search turns up this blog entry:  I found your letter to be genuinely moving.  However, I am puzzled that in your upcoming May visit to Israel, you will reportedly refuse to enter the main Holocaust museum, over a dispute on a comment on the silence of Pius XII during the Holocaust.  I do not find this decision to be in the spirit of reconciliation that you proclaim in your letter.

No comments: